DISCLAIMER: This is a personal list of “dislikes” on blogs. I am certainly not saying you should dislike the same things that I dislike, but I thought I’d share them anyway. So here are my top dislikes in blogs. If you take any offence from this, then you can send me a cheque for it later — it’s not free. :P
- Top flashing ad banners — I don’t mind advertising on personal weblogs, but it should be subtle and shouldn’t distract from the content. Top Flashing ad banners somehow gives a very cheap feel to your website.
- Embedded videos in the first two or three posts — I’ve already said that I don’t like too many embedded videos on blogs. If I find more than a couple of posts with videos embedded in them in the home page, I’ll close the window.
- Black background, white text/bright pink colours etc. — Even if you have great content, I won’t like to read it because it’s a strain on the eyes. Bright pink especially sucks.
- Poetry — If I find poetry on your blog, I’ll escape… Best of luck with finding yourself a good publisher. :razz:
- A lot of SEO articles/your impressive web stats/how much you rule — Heh. Everybody loves reading about how many visitors you get each month and from where. Not me. Thanks anyway. Goodbye.
- I see words like “monetize”, “favorite me”, “technorati”, “digg me”, “youtube”, “stumble me” etc in many places — Use nouns as nouns, not verbs. You probably fall into the above category.
- Default blogger/wordpress/xyz themes and templates — I have nothing against the default templates provided by blogging software, but the biggest problem is that they’re default. Lots of people use them. Thousands, millions, trillions. Quadrillions. Unless your blog has really unique content, I probably am not interested much in it.
Should I explain my dislikes? No, I won’t. Either you get it or you don’t. :lol:
Hari writes about a wide variety of topics on his own blog, including “Humour, comics, tech, software, reviews, essays, articles and HOWTOs intermingled with random philosophy now and then”.